We’ve started creating traditions for our family and last year, I decided to try and make Wassail. Well, last year, the recipe was good, but a tad on the bitter side. THIS year however, I found a recipe on About.com (credit to Patti Wigington’s Basic Wassail Recipe). I modified it SLIGHTLY and, well.. here’s how you make it (Recipe Card below the video)
- 1 Gallon apple cider
- 2 C. cranberry juice
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 oranges
- Whole cloves
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 TBSP Allspice
- 1 TBSP Ginger
- 1/2 TBSP Nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 3 Tbs. ground cinnamon)
- 1/2 C - 1 C brandy (optional)
- Set your crockpot to its lower setting, and pour apple cider, cranberry juice, honey and sugar in, mixing carefully. As it heats up, stir so that the honey and sugar dissolve. Stud the oranges with the cloves, and place in the pot (they'll float). Add the diced apple. Add allspice, ginger and nutmeg to taste -- usually a couple of tablespoons of each is plenty. Finally, snap the cinnamon stick in half and add those as well.
- Cover your pot and allow to simmer 2 - 4 hours on low heat.
- About half an hour prior to serving, add the brandy if you choose to use it.
If you have a variation or suggestions, please leave a comment! I would love to hear how yours turns out!